Thank you! But it's not all gold that glitters Some errors are already in the aera of the galleries, which are not correctable. The sternmost triton on the lower gallery does not bend arround the turret. Subsequently I had to ommit one of the masks between the upper and the lower gallery. But what most bothers me: I can not paint the shingles at the roofs of the galleries anymore. This would be too tricky to do it well.
Small update of my Vasamodel: Meanwhile, I was able to complete the painting of the Coat of Arms. The mane is gilded. The rest of the lions is painted with Attic ocher and then painted over with a translucent Renaissance Gold. The shades were made with a translucent orange.
Now I wonder if I should paint the new figurehead not even after this color scheme. What do you think?
The body of the figurehead lion I painted in a englisch red. The mane is gilded But the 1:10 model in Stockholm the figurehead was painted all over golden. The mane and the body So I'm in doubt, if I shall correct this on my model.
I like the reddish / golden color as I had done it. I made it this way because I have seen a model of the figurehead with this colorsheme on Hans Soops' desk at my visit in 2000.
The question might answer Fred, if any color traces were found at the original figurehead.
I had a test to paint the galleries Very tricky! Although I'm reasonably happy with the result, I know it is not optimal. And whether I can realise the more hidden parts of the gallery in this kind? But look and judge for yourself:
Thanks for your opinion. The figures are still removable with a little force. The biggest problems will be the parts of the turrets which face to the sides of the ship. I will try to paint them with Microbrushes - or to omit the painting at that sides.
First I stamped out with a carving knife (No. 9 gouge, 3 mm) the shingles in an adhesive airbrush film ("aero-pro"). To recognize the transparent film better, I colored it with a green permanent marker.
This mask was place at the suface and painted around with oil paint. I've painted with a size "0" paintbrush on the foil in half, in half on the wood. So you get a very thin line. Adds and corrections I made with a size 0/10 paintbrush or by scratching away the surplus with a cuttingknife. Experiments I have made with a medium cadmium yellow, gold, and finally with a very bright yellow oil-paint. The bright yellow looks best. As a thinner I used "Schmincke Diluent N"
In the top three rows I had quite good results:
Preparing the galleries with the masks was the most time consuming step:
After drying the oil-paint, I added a shadow line with an finepen in sepia color under the shingles. Without this shadow line the result was simply unacceptable.
Maybe this helps someone to get a good painting result on his model.