Clayton, you've built your model scratch, maybe based on the same plans. Can you remenber, to have similar problems carving the crown sculpture? The cord border around the griffons is completely visible at your model, but 2 of the 11 busts below you halved. Did you perhaps had a similar problem of a too narrow top of the stern?
I am not sure what you mean by the 11 busts of which 2 I halved. But, I distinctly remember having this same problem with the upper stern.
So the hull line drawing that the hull frames were formulated from and the drawing of the stern didn't match up, even after I sized the stern drawing to a different proportion than the rest of the plans. In other words the stern drawing doesn't even match to scale with the rest of the draws, and as I built it became apparent that it is also internally out of proportion, as you have found.
So, rather than rebuild the whole stern section of my model once I got to the upper stern, I simply made a compromise and forced a sturdy chunk of birch (probably about half an inch wide and tall) into the stern between where the poop deck and the quarter deck were to go. Since I planned originally to plank over the poop and the sides of the sterncastle, no one would see this rouge or inaccurate structural member, and it's presence wouldn't matter.
Doing this forced the sides of the sterncastle apart a little to give me more room to affix sculpture and make the poop and quarter deck closer to their actual width. But I was careful to not force it apart too much, which would give the model an unrealistic and unsightly run of the sides aft.
I am glad that I noticed the lack of width compared to what is needed across the upper part of the stern early! Below is a picture of my model with the upper stern still open, but long after I installed this piece of wood. I put a red box around this rogue timber that I mentioned.
Thanks for this interesting information, Clayton. Then the plans in this area seem to be probably faulty. I measured my plans again: the top of the stern is too narrrow at the crown-sculpture. The sculpture is 320 cm wide in the original. The rear according to plan at this point is only 300 cm.
I would like to handle it, as you did it. Reduce the extent of the crown sclpture until it fits. Not nice but better then to cut off the edges of the carving
PS: I meant the 11 small balusters, situated below the crown sculpture. Alternating a woman and a man's head. Incidentally really amazing how well you have prepared this tiny faces. Here I come to the limits of my carving skills.
I treated the griffins like the lions holding the coat of arms below. The griffins are leaf gilded at their heads, their wings, and their tag. The rest of the griffins ist painted with oil colors and covered with a transluscent reneaissance gold color. But the glimmering is poorly visible at the photos.
I consider to add the green paint at the griffins' wings like the 1:10 model shows it.